Skip to main content

Delicious Upside Down Buns AKA Sticky Buns

Recently, I made my first batch of upside down buns, aka sticky buns. I've eaten my share of these and have made many other buns, such as cinnamon buns,hot cross buns,and rolls.However for some reason I have never attempted to make these?, until now.


So now I have finally made them and they were delicious.Its the exact recipe my mom would make that I loved as a kid.Its actually a bread machine recipe that she slightly adapted from the recipe book that came with her Black & Decker Bread Maker.There are so much great recipes in this book that I would love to try with the bread maker.

This recipe for example is originally for their upside down pecan bun;however no one here is a fan of nuts in bread so the recipe was changed to have delicious raisins for the filling and brown sugar glaze.This gives a chewy,soft texture while giving some more sweetness.Also when I made this recipe,I used real 2% milk instead of their ingredient of skim milk powder for the dough.Liquid milk gives some more moisture and flavor;however either one can be used.I just replaced it because I never have milk powder in the kitchen and I also replaced the butter with hard margarine because I didn't have it on hand.Beside those ingredients changed I basically followed the recipe directions and delicious sticky buns came alive.


It was the very bread maker that made a perfect dough for these buns.It made it super easy and all I had to do was put in the first eight ingredients into the pan,place in the machine and turn it to dough setting.The machine does all the work of mixing and rising.So in that time I was able to do other things while I waited.

Now the machine can't do all the work.So when it was done I had to make the syrup that is poured in a 9x 13 pan, preferably glass.Then I had to roll out the dough,make the filling and assemble it all together,jelly roll style.Then I had to cut out the rolls and I got about 13 all together and I definitely recommend when cutting rolls to use a thin string like dental floss, flavorless of course.String will  actually work a lot better then a large knife because knives tend to tare the spiral.Then I placed them on the syrup glaze to rise and then baked them until golden brown.


  
In the end I got huge sticky buns with a spiral top and a syrup glaze bottom.They had a layered,airy and light dough that absorbed a lot of the flavor from the filling and syrup.The spiral part was golden brown and had a beautiful design and the bottom had dark syrup with plump raisins.The filling was sweet of brown sugar and raisins with a hint of cinnamon.Everything tied so well together and it was a moist layered sticky bun.The best part is the upside down part;however I say the whole thing is my favorite.Lots of moisture and flavor.Super easy recipe and delicious buns gone in a flash.

If you want an easy upside down bun for a bread maker try this recipe below and for my next post it will be something savory in a mini format :) 




Upside Down Raisin Buns
Adapted from Upside Down Pecan Buns.Black & Decker bread maker recipe manual

(Bread Machine Recipe)

Dough Recipe

1 1/4 cups water
3 tbsp milk
1 egg
2 tbsp hard margarine
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/4 tsp salt
4 1/3 cup all purpose flour
1 1/4 tsp quick acting yeast

Brown Sugar Syrup

1/4 cup hard margarine
2/3 cup brown sugar
3 tbsp water
1/2 cup raisins

Filling
3 tbsp hard margarine, melted
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp cinnamon
3/4 cups raisins

I added the first eight ingredients to the baking pan.Then I inserted it into the oven chamber and twisted it to secure.Then I closed the lid and selected dough/pasta setting.(This will preheat for 25 minutes and then mix.It will also rise the dough) Note:Only remove the dough when the cycle is done and the bread machine peeps.

Once the dough was done.I created the syrup.In a large pot,I boiled the margarine,water and brown sugar for 1 minute.Then proceeded to pour the syrup into a 9x13 inch baking pan, preferably glass. Then tilted the pan back and forth too fully cover the bottom.Sprinkled on the raisins.

Then I removed the dough from the bread machine and placed it on a floured surface.I kneaded the dough till it was no longer sticky and rolled it out into a rectangle as big as I could get it, about 12x18 inch.Then I melted 3 tbsp of hard margarine into a liquid measure and brushed the dough with a basting brush.

Then in a small bowl I mixed the brown sugar and cinnamon together.Then I proceeded to sprinkle the mixture onto the dough and then sprinkled on the raisins.From there I rolled the dough by the large side and pinched the edges to seal.( Jelly roll style)

Then I cut each roll, using a string.I got 13 rolls. Then I placed each piece on to the syrup in the pan.Then I placed the pan in a warm place and covered it with a towel.I let it rise for 30 minutes or until double in volume.( This depends on warmth and climate)

Once rising is done, I removed the towel and baked for about 35 minutes at 375F till golden brown and bubbling.Then I loosen the edges and turned each piece upside down to show syrup/raisin side.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...