Skip to main content

The Artisan Soda Workshop:Pineapple-Basil Syrup

Soda Adventures With Herbs & Spices.


In the introduction of this chapter, I am told that these soda recipes are more fit for the grown-up palate.With this information, I knew that these soda's would be less sweet with more natural flavor.So when I chose a recipe to test out I knew I was in for something quite different.So the syrup that I made was for pineapple-basil syrup that is to resemble a tropical flavored drink,which is the one recipe that I tested out from this chapter.

The recipe for pineapple-basil syrup was very simple to follow in directions and only needed three ingredients to create it.However when I made this soda I was quite surprise by the flavor.I knew that these recipes would be more for the grown- up palate, but I wasn't at all expecting a weak flavored drink.This syrup even threw me off because I thought pineapple juice would of created a strong acidic flavor against the soda water.However it came out to have a really light pineapple aftertaste with detection of any flavor from the basil.Even adding more syrup it still came across as very weak.I wasn't at all pleased with this recipe in its flavor;however it was simple to make and was very attractive.


I am disappointed in this recipe and expected better since I had such great success in the other two soda recipes.I only wish it had more flavor because it seems like such a waste of ingredients.But I know you can't win them all so I'll still keep reviewing.

In the end,this recipe gets a thumbs down from me because If the flavor doesn't cut it then simplicity and appearance cannot win.However if you like weak drinks then try it out yourself or maybe add a little rum to that the pineapple soda.It might fix it self!

So here's the recipe.You might like it, but if you like strong bold flavors then I don't recommend it for you. Anyways, I'm off to write the next review for the next chapter.Maybe I'll have a better experience with "Cherries and Berries" section.Stay tune!


Pineapple-Basil Syrup

 2 cup pineapple juice
12-15 fresh basil leaves
Carbonated water


In a medium heavy pot.Pour in 2 cups of 100% pineapple juice and add 12-15 fresh basil leaves.


Bring the liquid to a boil over high heat and let it reduce to 1/2 cup, about 10 -15minutes.


Once that is done remove from the heat and use a fork  to remove the basil leaves.Discard the leaves.(Slotted spoon is simpler)


Let the liquid cool and refrigerate the syrup in a airtight container for up to 5 days.


When you want to use the syrup add 2 tbsp of the syrup to 10 oz (1 1/4 cup of soda water). I highly recommend adding more syrup or adding a stronger element to the drink such as rum or any other alcohol.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...