Skip to main content

No Bones About It,These Cookies Are Bone Chilling, Good!


HAPPY HALLOWEEN EVERYONE!



The spooky day is finally upon us and its time to celebrate.So whatever you may choose to do tonight, from dressing up,giving out candy,or attending a costume party.Be sure to leave room to make a homemade creepy treat for tonight because you don't want to miss out on making a scary and delicious treat,do you? Well I'll make sure that happens by recommending this simple and bone chilling bone yard cookie recipe.You will be quite impressed in the end.

For me,I was quite attracted by this recipe at the get go because I really wanted to take on the challenge of making bone cookies.It was also the picture in the magazine and the combination of ingredients that I couldn't resist.Just think? A sandwich cookie with jam in the middle with a coating of white chocolate,that sounds like a delicious creepy treat to me.So are you just as convince as I was to make this recipe.

Well lets start by breaking down this recipe with my experience.For me,I learned that this recipe is easier then it might look to make and the directions are quite simple to understand.The ingredients are also easy to find and quite adaptable if need be.Now I also have to mention that once you buy these ingredients make sure to get a little extra white chocolate.This is just in case you get to overzealous on the coating of these cookies.I ran into the same problem and had to use vanilla candy melts for the last few.Its always good to have extra ingredients on hand for any challenge.


Now this recipe maybe quite easy to make;however it does come with its own challenges as I mentioned.The first challenge I ran into was actually finding a bone shaped cookie cutter prior to making this recipe.This was pure luck finding this specific sized cutter,since Bulk Barn just opened near my work.So if you don't have this cookie cutter bulk barn as three sizes of dog bones;however you might be able to find them at a craft store. 

The second challenge I ran into was trying to find the best way to dip and remove these cookies without ruining the look of realistic bones.I learned that using a slotted spoon and a knife is the best way for me.This helped me scoop up the cookie without breaking and the knife helped smooth off the excess chocolate.Also, I learned that its quite important to not overuse the white chocolate on the cookies as I mentioned before.In the end, I was able to coat the leftovers and they all came out pretty well coated and looking creepy in a very simple way.I was quite impressed that this recipe concept worked so well and was challenging at the same time. For me,I have to give this recipe two thumbs up!


Now, for the best part of all, the taste test.No bones about it,they were top notch delicious.These cookies had all the right combination of flavors and texture.There appearance was very creepy with their pure white and glossy look that I thought they would be really well suited at a fancy Halloween party.Now there appearance may look great,but once you take a bite of one of these bones you will be wonderfully delighted.The outside as a smooth and melt in your mouth texture that is sweet,however not overpowering to the rest of the cookie.The cookie itself is buttery,soft and crumbly with a mild fruit sweetness from the jam inside.The white chocolate is the star of the show here and compliments the cookie so well.


I love this combination of a cookie because you get chocolate and a cookie put together,along with creating a spooky treat for Halloween.Its a win,win situation and I'm so glad I made these this year.Thanks Taste Of Home for picking such great recipes. I give the flavor of this cookie two thumbs up and is my favorite out of all the spooky treats.

Be sure to make these today,because you don't want to miss out on something this good!


Boneyard Cookies

Sent In By Celena Cantrell- Richardson,Michnigan,USA


1 cup confectioner sugar
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup cold butter,cubed
2 eggs
1 tsp almond extract
2 cups all purpose flour
1/8 tsp salt
 2-3 tbsp Seedless strawberry-raspberry jam (Good to have extra on hand)
16-18 oz white baking chocolate,chopped (Good to have an extra pkg)

  
1.In a medium bowl, I stirred together confectioner and cornstarch.Then I cut in the butter using a pastry cutter,until the dry mixture resembled coarse crumbs.
 

2.Then I added the eggs one a time,beating well after each,using a handheld electric mixer.Then I beat in the extract,until combined.


3.In a medium bowl, I stirred together flour and salt,to evenly distribute. Then I gradually added the flour mixture to the sugar mixture,mixing well.


4.Once the dough came together, I shaped into a ball and flatten it.Then I proceed to wrap it with saran wrap and place it in the fridge for 30 minutes,until easy to handle.



5.Once the dough was easy enough to handle.I cut the chilled dough in half,so I could deal with a smaller piece of dough and kept the other half chilled,until ready to use.I lightly floured my surface and roll the dough to about 1/8 inch thickness.I cut bone shaped cookies using my 3 1/2 cookie cutter and place them on parchment paper lined baking sheets.Make sure to cut a even amount of cookies so each one can be sandwiched together.


6.Then I baked them at 350 F for 10 minutes,until the edges began to brown.Then I remove them to a wire rack to cool. Then I continue the steps # 6  and #7 with the second piece of dough .I ended up with a small piece of dough and I just bake it with the cookies.


7.Then on the bottom of half of the cookies, I spread about 1/8 tsp-1/4 tsp of  seedless jam down the center,then topping it with remaining cookies,gently pressing together.Jam will seep through the side,so I just spread it off with a knife, gently.Letting them set, I began making the chocolate coating.


8.First, I chopped the 18 oz of Baker's White Chocolate and placed it in a medium glass bowl.I melted it in the microwave for 1 minute,remove it and stirred.Then I put it back in the microwave for additional 20 second,stirring and then I heated up again for another 10 seconds,stirring until smooth.


9.Then with one at a time, I dipped each cookie into the melted chocolate,allowing excess to drip off.This can be difficult to figure out the best utensil to dip and remove.

For me, I used a slotted spoon to submerge and lift out.I also used a knife to help remove extra chocolate on the flat side.Then I place the coated cookies on baking sheet with parchment paper,letting stand until set.Then I kept them in the fridge to harden some more and then I removed them from the sheet to place them in an airtight container.Keeping them chilled overtime is best,before serving.
Tip:Be sure to have extra baker white chocolate,just in case you run out.Or if you have any candy melts like I did. Just melt them in a glass bowl the same way for the white chocolate.

Comments

  1. Well done!!! You did such a great job this year, I loved the posts and those bone cookies look fantastic. I want one now. Happy Halloween my foodie friend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing your ideas and opinions, so join in the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...