Skip to main content

Mason jar salads and more:More Lunch Ideas!



 Julia Mirabella does not disappoint and offers us more ideas for lunch time.This time we have a variety of unique recipes for soups,pastas,rice dishes and of course salads.This is the chapter where we can all stretch out our imaginations and see what we can develop.So to start off, I have chosen to create the potato salad and the roasted cauliflower with Parmesan cheese dish.



Potato salad is my cherished summer salad and there can be countless versions in several cultures of this particular dish.For me,I have always adored my family's German potato salad because that is what I've grown up with;although I am always eager to test out fresh new ideas.



This salad recipe in particular is kept surprisingly simple as well as affordable.It simply involves tender bite size red and yellow potatoes, coated in a delicious mayo,lemon juice and Dijon mustard dressing.Then for some unique flavor and texture we have fresh chopped chives,parsley as well as celery.Then to top it all off it's splendidly seasoned with salt and pepper.
 

Though this salad is no where close to my favorite potato salad.I truly appreciate this version for its flavors and textures that are unique. Overall,this recipe is exceptional for its simple directions and prep work,along with being budget friendly and adaptable if necessary. I feel this is a refreshing and healthy salad that will keep you full all through the day.


Now roasting is a technique that helps enhance flavors and textures,especially for vegetables.Cauliflower is one of those veggies that is entirely bland on its own;however when you roast it with ingredients such as onions,garlic,thyme and cheese, then we have a different story.Roasting made this veggie dish go from flavorless all the way to melt in your mouth, full body flavor. So just think about the combination of tender pieces of cauliflower with garlic,caramelized onions,aromatic thyme and melted Parmesan cheese.That describes an unified savory dish that would be magnificent on its own or along side a juicy steak.



Overall,I love this dish because its loaded with flavor and completely simple to create.Its also affordable for everyone and will stay fresh when sealed and refrigerated properly.Also, for everyone that wants to be creative,this recipe is completely adaptable for your own desire and even simple enough to make larger batches.Roasted Cauliflower with Parmesan cheese is a healthy, delectable dish that will certainly keep you satisfied.

Two thumbs up for both dishes! Next we have Snacks & Dips!



Recipe


3 pounds of thin skinned potatoes (White, red,yellow etc)
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tsp lemon juice 
1/2 cup  roughly chopped fresh parsley
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
3 tbsp chives
1/2 cup thinly sliced celery(about 2 stalks)
Salt and Pepper
4 pint size or 2 quarts-size mason jars.


I placed the potatoes in a pot of salted water,submerging them.Then I brought it to a boil over high heat,then quickly reduced it, to simmer for 15-20 minutes,until the potatoes were tender when pierced.Then I drained the potatoes to set aside to cool.


 I chopped the fresh parsley,sliced the celery thinly and chopped the chives.


Then in a small bowl,I mixed the mayonnaise,lemon juice,parsley,mustard,and chives together.Setting it aside.


Once the potatoes were cool,I quartered them and place them in a large bowl,along with the thinly sliced celery.


Then I mixed in the mayonnaise mixture and seasoned it with salt and pepper for taste.Then I gently toss the salad together to combine.


 Then I spooned the potato salad into 4 pint size mason jars,sealed and refrigerated them until ready to use.


Roasted Cauliflower with Parmesan Cheese 
By Mason Jar Salads And More


1 Head Cauliflower
2 medium garlic cloves
1/2 small yellow or white onion,cut lengthwise into 1/4 inch slices
3 sprigs fresh thyme
2 tbsp olive oil
Juice from 1/2 lemon
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper
3 pint-size mason jars


Preheated the oven to 425F.I cut the cauliflower into individual florets,then cut each floret in half.


Sliced the garlic cloves lengthwise into thirds and sliced the onions lengthwise into 1/4 inch slices


Then I tossed the cauliflower and garlic together in a bowl with the sliced onions,sprigs of thyme,olive oil,lemon juice and salt and pepper for taste.


Then I transferred the vegetables into a casserole baking dish and roasted them for 35 minutes,turning them over halfway through to cook evenly.Then I removed the dish from the oven and sprinkled on the grated Parmesan,stirring it in.Then I placed it back in the oven for 10 minutes,then removed, to let cool.


 
The roasted vegetables were placed in the pint size mason jars and refrigerated, until ready to use.Reheated in the microwave before eating.


Comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...