Skip to main content

Classic Snacks Made From Scratch:Cakey Treats, Entermann's Doughnuts


 photo IMG_9121_zpse2c051fc.jpg

The next chapter of Classic Snacks is dedicated to the popular Cakey Treats such as Sno-balls,Hostess Cupcakes,Entermann's Doughnuts and even Twinkies.The original treats in this chapter are actual cakes I have never even tried myself while some are only sold within the states.So since I was unable to compare these versions to the original I chose a recipe that really interested me on a level where I would gain experience in a brand new field,  such as deep frying.So since I was set on that idea I chose to make my very own deep fried Entermann's Doughnuts,which are vanilla based doughnuts with varieties such as chocolate dipped and powdered sugar.This specific recipe was quite an adventure and learning experience for me,especially for a person that's completely new to the skill and original treat.

For me, I was able to learn so much from this recipe and cookbook about deep frying.This recipe with its simple ingredients and simply laid out directions kept me comfortable and in control.Casey has done a great job within this recipe for all to understand and made a smart choice to dedicate a section in this cookbook called "Deep Frying 101" to share her experiences and helpful tips.She was able to cover my basic questions on deep frying including electric deep fryers, homemade deep fryers,thermometers,safety and even how to filter my own oil.I found this lay out to be a great choice since knowledge is power and you definitely need it when Deep frying can be quite tricky and dangerous business.

So for me I was able to chose to make my own deep fryer following Casey's advice on what pots I can use along with oils and thermometers. It was quite a fun adventure in deep frying for me with using my own large stock pot,heating oil and even filtering my own oil for my next deep fried treat.All I got to say so far is if you need that extra help for deep frying even for another recipe you will find some great tips within this cookbook. I give a big thumbs up to direction and knowledge for the reader's since it's so important to keep everyone safe and happy.

 photo IMG_9211_zpsb66ce282.jpg

So since the ingredients,safety and directions were really helpful.I still had quite an adventure with this recipe with positives and negatives.The positive started out with how simple the doughnut batter was to make;however there was a few hiccups just before the prep for deep frying.First I ended up with a broken Candy/Oil Thermometer and then secondly I did not have enough canola oil for my stock pot.So I was panicking for a short time however I was super lucky that I had close family members that were just in town at the time so I was able to contact them to pick me up those very items from the local cooking shop and grocery store.These are the very people that test out these treats so I would imagine they wouldn't want to miss out on any doughnuts. 

So now that I had my new and improved Metal Thermometer and more canola oil then I can use.It was time to heat up the oil and roll out the dough. It was definitely the funniest part in the deep frying experience with just a few minor adjustments along the way, which are explained in the recipe with extra tips.Even with these minor hiccups and adjustment I was still able to pull off making homemade deep fried doughnuts and it was quite a learning experience.Two thumbs up for the interesting adventure!

 photo IMG_9233_zps3c07e1f7.jpg

Now for the moment of truth, the flavor and texture test.These doughnuts without any enhancement were deliciously sweet with a strong vanilla flavor.The doughnuts were the best when just cooled with their light crumbly and soft texture.They were exactly what I was hoping for in a deep fried doughnut and surprised me how well they turned out.They were perfectly risen and kept their round shape quite well during drying.They were also very delicious with a chocolate glaze and powdered sugar.The homemade version of Entermann's chocolate dipped doughnuts had a very sweet chocolate glaze that was very smooth and rich.The sweetness may even be a little over powering for some and I completely understand based on how much chocolate to sugar is used.So if you cannot take too my much sweet then the powdered sugar versions are the way to go.They are actually my favorite since they just have enough sweetness and messiness for anyone.

 photo IMG_9152_zpsd8a6ff30.jpg

Overall,  I really love this recipe and the doughnuts were awesome.I had the best time making these doughnuts even with some minor hiccups along the way.It was also a lot of fun to decorate these goodies,especially when I got the chance to use sprinkles for the chocolate dipped.It makes them so much more enduring and doughnuts are all about the appearance anyways.So I hope everyone tries this recipe out for themselves and if you have tried the original versions of Entermann's Doughnuts,especially these varieties then be sure to come back and let me know if this is a homemade match to the store bought.So all I got to say is this review gets two big thumbs up from me for  experience,recipe and delicious doughnuts!

Anyways,I'm on to making another store bought cakey treat.What will it be? Well stay tune!

 photo IMG_9166_zps333d73cd.jpg

The Recipe

 photo IMG_9062_zps2bc17623.jpg

Entermann's Doughnut's

2 large eggs
1 cup (7 oz) granulated sugar
2 tbsp (1 oz)  unsalted butter.
1/4 to 1/3 cup whole or reduced milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups (8 1/2 oz) cake flour
1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
Vegetable or canola oil for frying.

Chocolate Dipping:

4 cups (1 pound) powdered sugar
1 tbsp light corn syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
6 ounces semisweet chocolate,coarsely chopped (a scant cup)

Equipment: 

Standard doughnut cutter (or 1 and 2 1/2 inch cookie cutter)(My Tip: Can find this size in a pastry cutter set)
Electric deep fryer (or a large pot and candy/oil thermometer)

 photo 2013-03-28001_zps1e652257.jpg

I measured and melted the unsalted butter and let cool.

 photo 2013-03-280011_zpsbce1c81d.jpg

Then I whisked the eggs and sugar together by hand in a large bowl for about 30 seconds until pale and thick.Then added the butter, 1/4 cup milk and vanilla,whisk until combined.

 photo 2013-03-280012_zpse794dad1.jpg

In a large bowl, I whisked the cake flour,unbleached flour, baking powder, salt.Then gently stirred in the dry mixture into the wet ingredients, using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon. (My tip: Using a folding motion will be the most gentle way to mix) The batter will be thick and sticky. If its to thick to stir, add the 1/3 cup of milk to loosen it.Then I covered the batter filled bowl and refrigerated for 1 hour until risen and dried.

 photo IMG_9077_zpsfd2128e4.jpg

 photo IMG_9089_zpsfffe176e.jpg

Heated 2 inches of canola oil to 375F in a large heavy bottom stainless stock pot with high sides using a metal candy/oil thermometer.I made sure to not over fill my pot and made sure that the oil didn't come more then halfway up the pots sides.I attached the candy/oil thermometer and your suppose to not let it touch the bottom since you will get an inaccurate temperature.However my thermometer attached was to long for the height of the pot and ended up touching the bottom. So when I checked the temp I had to make sure to put the thermometer on an angle and lift it slightly up,then wait for the correct temp.It took about 15- 20 minutes to reach 375F on high heat.Meat thermometer cannot be used in replacement for this recipe.

For me I placed two small dry kitchen hand towels on a large baking sheet and placed a low cookie rack on top. However the recipe does recommend to line a baking sheet with paper towel and an upside down wire cooling rack. Didn't have any paper towel on hand.

 photo 2013-03-280013_zps8e5e09a8.jpg
 photo 2013-03-280014_zpsaeb032c0.jpg
 photo IMG_9272_zps6443fb00.jpg

I floured my work surface and patted the chilled dough into a square.Then I dusted the dough and rolling pin with flour.Then I rolled the dough into a 10 inch square that was 1/2 inch thick.I then floured my cookie cutters and stamped out donut shapes.I learned to always re flour after each cut since the dough is very sticky and soft.

 photo 2013-03-280015_zps2ce03c79.jpg

Once the oil reached 375F, I turned the temp down slightly to prevent the oil from getting to hot.Then I carefully lowered the doughnuts(holes as well) into the hot oil, using a metal spatula.I learned in the deep frying 101 time varies for each equipment used and for me it took maybe 1- 2 1/2 minutes to reach golden brown per doughnut using heatproof tongs to flip each one.However after a while I would just flip them once one side reach golden brown and removed once the other side had matched.It also takes practice to reach golden brown because my first few came out crispier then the next batch.However for a guideline the recipes does say each doughnut should take no more then 3-4 minutes and to always make sure to flip them for even browning.

 photo IMG_9097_zps75367baa.jpg
First is the best shade of golden brown,middle is getting closer to over done and third is way over done.

 Then I transferred each donuts on to my prepared baking sheet to cool completely.

Add The Chocolate Glaze

I filled a small, straight-sided saucepan half way with water and brought it to a simmer over low heat.

 photo 2013-03-280016_zps20da439e.jpg

I coarsely chopped the semisweet baker's chocolate.

 photo 2013-03-280017_zps79583572.jpg

Then I stirred the powder sugar,corn syrup,vanilla and milk together in a large glass bowl.I placed the bowl over the simmering water and cooked,stirring until liquid was warm to the touch. Then I added the chopped chocolate and stirred it constantly until fully melted.

 photo 2013-03-280018_zpsaf29dd96.jpg

Once the doughnuts were fulled cooled. I dipped half of them into the chocolate glaze and allow the excess glaze to drip back into the bowl.Using a slotted spoon is quite useful for this step.Then I place them on the wire cooling rack and let them set,which takes at least 30 minutes.Half of the chocolate ones I decorated with Easter/ spring sprinkles and the other half I left plain.

 photo IMG_9111_zpsd0ff3470.jpg

 photo 2013-03-280019_zpsc56ea64c.jpg

The rest of the doughnut I decorated with powdered sugar. I placed 2-3 tbsp of powdered sugar in a large plastic resealable bag and placed two or three doughnuts at a time.Sealed the bag and shook it until all were fully coated.Then repeated.You will most likely have to add more powder sugar as you go.These are best served right away.

The doughnuts can last up to 3 days in an airtight container at room temp.However for me they lasted like 4 -5 days for me.Depends on the weather.



Comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...