Skip to main content

Black Forest Mousse Cake


Black forest cakes are well-beloved by many,especially for special occasions;however many are afraid to create their own and decide to buy one instead.Well I am here to tell you today to stay away from those store bought cakes and learn how to make this impressive cake.If you have the right amount of patience along with a good recipe it will be simple to create any black forest cake.Just think about how amazed your friends and family will be when you serve this beauty?

Patience is the key to creating any black forest cake.It can seem as a very challenging task;however when you have a great recipe that integrates simple explained directions along with helpful tips it forms a comfort zone for everyone.This is also a recipe that can be adaptable as well as gives options. There is also plenty of room for creativity for decorating and brushing up on piping skills.Although,with any cake there is always an aspect that can be tedious as well as fragile.So I give fair warning to go slow and give yourself lots of time to produce your own masterpiece.




Black forest cakes are also very memorable in appearance.The dressed whip cream topping,the sprinkle of chocolate curls and the cherries on top.They all share this same basic decorating trait;however this specific dessert reveals something quite distinctive;however stills follows tradition.This beautiful rich chocolate cake is layered inside with chocolate mousse and cherries,instead of whip cream.So this creates a very rich and elegant dessert.It also forms a more stable cake for the decorating process.

Now with every bite you take of this heavenly cake it brings on new flavors and textures that it makes it almost hard to describe. This cake is incredibly moist and dense with rich chocolate.The plump cherries are sweet,which enhance the rich chocolate mousse.Then to top it all off you have the whipped topping,chocolate curls and more cherries as the final touch. It one of those desserts that makes you ache inside when its being eaten because of how wonderful it looks when its put together.Oh well! 


Overall,this is a top notch cake and loved by everyone that had the chance to try some.So take the challenge and see what your masterpiece might look like?


Black Forest Mousse Cake 



Cake

1 cup unsalted butter,softened
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder 
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups buttermilk

Cherries

1 jar (796ml) black cherries in light syrup
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tbsp rum

Chocolate Mousse

2 cups  heavy whipping cream

2 tbsp rum
6 oz semisweet chocolate,chopped

Whipping Cream

2 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 tbsp vanilla

Cake

I greased the sides of two 8-inch round metal cake pans.Then lined the bottom with wax paper and floured the sides.
 


With my stand mixer.I creamed the softened butter with the sugar until light and fluffy.Then I added the eggs in,one at a time,beating in.Lastly adding the vanilla.
 

In a large bowl.I sifted together flour,cocoa,baking powder,baking soda and salt.



Then I stirred in the flour mixture and buttermilk into the butter mixture.Alternately,3 additions flour and 2 of buttermilk.Using a wooden spoon to stir.



Then I poured the cake batter into the prepared pans and baked at 350F for 35 minutes,until a tooth pick came out clean.Then I let the cakes cool in the pans for 20 minutes,then removed and cooled completely.



Optional:I also made this cake ahead of time and wrap in plastic wrap and placed in fridge.This cake can be kept in the fridge up to 24 hours or frozen up to 2 weeks wrapped in foil.

Cherries

Placing my sifter over a liquid measuring cup.I drained a jar of black cherries or sour cherries.Pressing lightly.I then reserved 1/3 cup of the juice and save the cherries.



In a small saucepan.I brought the 1/3 cup of the sugar and reserved juice to a boil,boiling until reduced to 1/2 cup.I let it cool and stirred in the rum.Rum is optional.
 

Chocolate Curls

Placed a large glass bowl over a saucepan,halfway filled of water.Medium heat.Chopped the bakers chocolate and melted it in the glass bowl.

Once completely melted,I turned the heat down and poured the chocolate evenly into a foiled prepared loaf pan.Then I refrigerated the chocolate until set,up to 2 hours.Once set,I let it stand, until slightly softened.



To create curls,I held the chocolate with the foil and while using a vegetable peeler I gently drew across the narrow side.I worked quickly since the chocolate will begin to soften and melt.Then I transferred the chocolate curls to a wax paper lined baking sheet using a toothpick and placed in the fridge to stay set.

Optional :Make ahead: Lightly cover chocolate curls and refrigerate for up to 2 days.

Chocolate Mousse

With a saucepan,I brought cream and rum just to a boil.Then poured it over the finely chopped bakers chocolate placed in a large bowl.I let it sit for a couple minutes to completely melt the chocolate and then whisked the mixture, until smooth.


Then I placed plastic wrap over the top of the bowl and refrigerated it until chilled,about 1 hour or overnight.Once ready to use.I poured the mousse into my stand mixture and beat the mixture until soft pecks appeared,setting aside to prepare cake.


Cake Assembling

I sliced each cake layer in half horizontally and placed the layers on a plate.Then brushed each cut side with cherry syrup about 2 tbsp.Then I let it stand for 5 minutes.
 


Then with 1 cake layer on my cake plate.I spread 1 cup of the mousse evenly and then gently arranged 3/4 cup of the cherries over top.I repeated this same process for second and third layer,until put together.Then I placed the cake in the fridge to help set,about an hour or overnight.I also saved some cherries for decorating the top.


Optional:I did this assembling part ahead of time. Wrapping in plastic wrap and refrigerating overnight.Then did the final decorating on the day with whip cream and cherries.


 In my stand mixture,I beat the heavy whipping cream with the remaining sugar and vanilla,until stiff peaks developed.


 I spread the whip cream gently over the top and sides of the set cake with an off set spatula.


Then I filled a piping bag with whip cream using a large star tip.I created flower spirals along the top of the cake and placed a cherry in the middle of each.Then I gently pressed the chocolate curls onto the side of the cake.Refrigerated until set and ready to serve.
  
Optional: Make-ahead:Loosely cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.

Comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...