Skip to main content

Almost Perfect Chocolate Peppermint Slices


This is the first time I have ever made chocolate peppermint slices and this treat seems to fit well for the holiday month.The treat came very close to being my favorite, but it still needs a little more experimentation to the layers to create a favorite.It has great qualities while other attributes need work.

These treats had a filling and bottom layer that were very simple to create.The filling seemed to be a basic smooth flavored icing and the crust was a heavy,stable cookie dough that reminded me a lot of graham crackers in flavor.The top chocolate layer deemed to be more difficult to create because I had to experiment with the top layer recipe because I was missing an ingredient from the list.So I improvised by using margarine,unsweetened cocoa and sugar. I would learn soon after that melting all these ingredients in a sauce pan would create a grainy chocolate sauce.With no other chocolate insight to use and to not waste ingredient I used the chocolate sauce for the top layer anyways.

With all these layers together it still created a pretty good chocolate peppermint slice;however I found the textures and flavors a little off mostly towards the chocolate.It blended to much into the filling and I feel now that it should of been a hard chocolate layer.The filling and crust were perfectly fine because those were the layers that made this treat come very close to a favorite.So I plan to redo this recipe sometime and create a different layer.Maybe I'll make a new chocolate topping or scrape that idea and add crushed peppermint candy to the top.In the end these treats reminded me a lot of after eight mints and I hope to make to make it a favorite.


For the recipe below.I gave the original ingredient list for the topping and not my experimentation.I also gave my recommendation of using baker's chocolate or chocolate chips to create a hard chocolate layer.Anyways, hope you enjoy trying out this recipe and give your own ideas to it.

Look out for my new product review posts coming soon!



Chocolate Peppermint Slices
(Adapted from Chocolate Peppermint Slices.Company's Coming,150 Delicious Squares by Jean pare)

Bottom Layer:

1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup white sugar + 1/2 tbsp molasses ( or brown sugar)
3/4 cup butter or margarine (I used half soft margarine and half lard)

Filling:

2 tbsp soft margarine
2 tbsp milk
1 1/2 cup icing sugar
1/2 tsp peppermint flavoring

Top layer:

6 tbsp margarine
1 cup chocolate drinking mix
(or melt chocolate chips or baker chocolate)

Bottom Layer:

Mixed flour, white sugar,molasses,and fat in a medium bowl.Using your hands to combine the ingredients, works well to help blend the molasses into the dough.It will have a few tiny dark spot,but don't worry about that.As long as their is no large spots, your fine.

Then press the dough into an ungreased 9x9 square pan.Try to make it as even as possible.Bake for 20 minutes at 350F.When it springs back and golden. Completely cool.10 minutes room temp and rest cooled in the fridge.

Filling:

Mix margarine,milk,icing sugar and peppermint flavoring in a medium bowl.Beat till smooth.Set aside in fridge.Once crust is fully cooled pour the filling on top, spread as evenly as possible with rubber spatula.

Top Layer:

Melt margarine in a small saucepan on low heat.Then add the chocolate drink powder.Let it cool off heat and then pour it on the filling.Evenly spread the sauce out and then let it set in the fridge overnight.Cut into squares.It takes some strength to cut these because the crust is very hard.

Comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...