I love banana bread and who doesn't love it in mini form,especially with no cutting needed :P.I found that this was the best bread I have ever eaten. Its moist, has a strong banana flavor and a crumbly chewy crust. Those are the traits I love for this treat :).
This kind of quick bread is really easy to experiment with in sense of replacements and additions.Especially adding your favorites such as chocolate chips,dried fruits and nuts.
This time I went with a recipe for a healthier low fat version of banana bread since I didn't want to use any margarine or butter. Mostly the fat is for moisture and combination. The banana hold its own in flavor and moisture anyways; however applesauce helps with replacement in fat and less sugar. Theses fruits pair well together and are a lovely addition to the bread.I have used both fruit purees in past recipes so I wasn't hesitate to use them or add more.
This time I went with a recipe for a healthier low fat version of banana bread since I didn't want to use any margarine or butter. Mostly the fat is for moisture and combination. The banana hold its own in flavor and moisture anyways; however applesauce helps with replacement in fat and less sugar. Theses fruits pair well together and are a lovely addition to the bread.I have used both fruit purees in past recipes so I wasn't hesitate to use them or add more.
From past recipes I have found that the best tip in making this quick bread is to use overripe frozen bananas. Because when their thawed or microwave they become basically mashed and liquidity, which is the best consistency for banana bread.No hand mashing intended and you can easily just cut the top and squeeze out the filling inside.It makes the bread very moist and plus less mixing to be done because it will combine so easily.
To make the best banana bread you have to make sure not to over-mix the batter and the tips to do that is making a well in your dry ingredients even if the original recipe doesn't say so.
The next best tip I can give you while mixing is to use a rubber spatula to fold in the ingredients instead of stirring; however gently stirring with a wooden spoon can work as well. Its all about your technique and how fast your going. Don't try to rush it to much and just take the time. Because in the end you created a very tasty treat for yourself and if its in a mini loaf form then it will be gone very quickly. So make sure to make more or double the recipe :)
Stay tune for more fun recipes!
Stay tune for more fun recipes!
Yields 8 mini loafs or one 8x4 loaf.
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 eggs whites (Separate eggs)
3 overripe bananas, mash, (If frozen, thaw or microwave)
2/3 cup homemade applesauce
Use nonstick mini loaf pan.Greasing is optional.
Use large bowl. Sift in flour,sugar, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon. Stir. Make a well.
Separate eggs. Add egg whites to well.
Peel and mash bananas, add.
(If using frozen bananas.Microwave in 30 second intro-volts till soft/feels liquidity.Mash if needed.Then add)
Add applesauce and stir. Do not over-mix.(Using a rubber spatula for folding can prevent it or gentle mixing with wooden spoon)
Spoon or pour into pan. Fill halfway.
Oven at 350F for 50 minutes, until risen, golden brown and toothpick test comes clean.
Let cool before releasing. May have to use small metal spatula to releases edges and should pop out easily.Cool or serve warm.
