Skip to main content

Petite Treats Cookbook Review:Morning Bites

 photo 20130219_220306_zpsaedf05bc.jpg

"Petite Treats" is a cookbook inspired to create our favorite bake goods and transform them into mini mes.This little book created by Christy Beaver and Morgan Greenseth delivers us mouthwatering photos and simple recipe approaches.So to give this recipe book a fair test and review I feel that the simplest way is to pick one recipe from each chapter.

So to begin with, we have a chapter dedicated to the morning treat that includes creative recipes that I feel everyone will enjoy."Morning Bites" has all the common breakfast favorites in mini format such as muffins,scones,rolls and buns.For me, I chose a recipe for something I have never tired or even baked myself.Strawberry rolls is a recipe that intrigue me almost right away based on the fact that the filling was made with fresh strawberries.I always wanted to have a filling that was homemade and I definitely got it with this recipe.

 photo IMG_8495_zpsca9b9c9f.jpg

These rolls are fancy little treats that are made with a simple yeast dough,quick fresh strawberry filling, hint of cream cheese and a simple sweet glaze.The recipe has simple ingredients that you can find at any grocery store and I definitely recommend fresh strawberries in the filling for maximum flavor.The steps in this recipe are also quite simple and direct that any level of baker can accomplish.However with that being said I still recommend to read this recipe thoroughly because you might even miss the simplest and most useful tip.Trust me I miss a useful tip in this recipe that would of made my job a lot easier.

Wondering what I missed? Well I ended up forgetting to put nonstick spray on the parchment paper on the pan,which would of made my life a lot easier.However I was still able to get the baked rolls off while being very careful.Those are fragile little rolls and they definitely stick to parchment paper! However with that being said it didn't end their because I also forgot to make the glaze entirely until I remembered the very next morning while half of the batch was gone.Silly me! However I learned these rolls are really good with or without glaze.

Now for the yeast dough part of the recipe I did pretty well with preparing it;however it must of been the cold weather because the dough didn't rises as well as it should.So for next time I think placing them in the oven covered will help a lot in the rising factor. Oven off remember! Now the filling was the super easy part of the recipe and was fun to make as well.The filling was made with fresh strawberries which made a big difference in flavor as along as you don't end up with watery tasteless berries. I was certainly lucky for this recipe! Its basically a fresh homemade jam for these mini rolls paired with spreadable cream cheese for added richness.I definitely recommend this recipe!

 photo IMG_8514_zps53a32179.jpg


Now were not done yet because its the flavor, texture and appearance that are the most important part for review.If nothing tastes good or even looks good why even bother with a recipe that is simple to follow. You don't have to worry about that in this recipe because these rolls delivered in all these categories.Its appearance is alluring with its vibrant strawberry filling,golden brown exterior ,unique spiral and glisten shine.I know no one could refuse these based on how they look because presentation is everything in food.Now for flavor and texture,we have a mini soft roll, risen and slightly chewy along with a sweet full flavored strawberry filling.This filling takes over the whole roll that you might not even detect the cream cheese while the glaze just gives that added sweetness that I feel you can choose to have or not have.Overall, you end up with a roll that resembles a bit of a cookie based on its mini sized and great fruit flavor.

Overall, I love these rolls and they certainly didn't last long about 3 days I would say.I highly recommend this recipe and I pretty sure it could even be adaptable.Even though I said I highly recommend fresh strawberries I can imagine these being made with jam as well.Plus the glaze can be in or out if you choose too.Its all about being creative anyways so go for it and just remember if your serving this to a group you may want to make two batches they definitely go fast!

So now were on to the next chapter of petite treats all about our guilty pleasures that includes sweet treats such as cupcakes, brownies, doughnut etc.Stay tune for a new review coming soon!

 photo IMG_8562_zps8d049be0.jpg

Strawberry Rolls 
For Filling

1 tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp water
 1 cup strawberries,coarsely chopped
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract

For The Dough

3/4 tsp active dry yeast
1/4 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt 
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour,divided
1/4 cup milk
2 tbsp unsalted butter
1/4 cup water

For The Icing

1/2 tsp vanilla extract

1 tbsp milk
1/2 cup powdered sugar,sifted

Filling 

Mix cornstarch and water,until smooth.Set aside.In a medium pot, add chopped strawberries,sugar and vanilla over medium to high heat.When liquidity and combined reduce heat to low and whisk in cornstarch mixture.Stir constantly until thickened.Remove from the heat.Let cool completely.


Dough 

Sift together yeast,sugar,salt and 1/2 cup flour to a large bowl.Make well.

Heat milk in Sm.saucepan over medium heat, until boils.Remove and add butter until completely melted.Add water to allow mixture to cool to just warm.Between 100 -110 F. 

Add egg and milk mixture to the flour well. Stir well with a spatula until combined.Add remaining 1 cup of flour, 1/4 cup at a time.Combine after each addition.Add 1-2 tbsp of water if flour isn't mixing.

Flour work surface and knead dough for 8 minutes, until smooth and elastic.

Bake and Roll

Line a 9inch square pan (I recommend to use 2 square pans) with parchment paper an spray with nonstick cooking spray (Makes it a lot easier to take off rolls once baked and cooled)

Roll dough to about 9x13 inches rectangle and 1/3 inch thick.

Spread the strawberry filling on dough and roll into a log starting with the long side.Use a little bit of water to seal the edges.Place the steam dough down and slice into 1/2 inch rolls (Recipe Tip:Add 2 tbsp of cream cheese along with the strawberry filling for added richness)

Place rolls in the baking pans, 1 inch apart to give room for rising.Cover loosely and allow to rise in a warm place for 1 hour (My tip: Place them in a oven that is turned off.Dark place and less cold air to reach them) Remove from oven when about to bake.

Once ready to bake preheat oven to 350F and bake rolls until golden brown, about 20 minutes.Allow to cool for 20 minutes in the pan while you make the icing.

Icing

Mix vanilla and milk together in a small bowl.In a medium bowl,Add the milk mixture to the powdered sugar and stir until combined.The icing should be very thick liquid consistency.Drizzle icing on cool rolls with a fork.These are best served right away or put in an airtight container for up to 1-2 days.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...