Skip to main content

Classic Snacks Made From Scratch:Nutter Butters Cookies

 photo IMG_8946_zpsce9765af.jpg

Since the Homemade Oreo's were such a hit I made a decision to stay in the cookie chapter for one more recipe.I chose a recipe based on the store bought cookie called "Nutter Butters",which is a treat I haven't even tried since its sold in the states.Based on this homemade version they are a peanut butter shortbread sandwich cookie shaped as a peanut filled with peanut butter frosting.I thought this was a really cute idea for a cookie and I knew I had to test out this recipe.Also, I thought it be fun to not feel to worried about comparing the homemade to original.So this time I'll let all you readers and baker's see if they meet the challenge.

So far I have asked my face book page followers if they have tired Nutter Butters before and  I have received pretty positive reply towards the treat.So I'm hoping they will maybe try out the recipe as well and give me there feedback. Casey the author hasn't failed me so far with her homemade Oreo's so I think they will be pretty close to the original.

So when I began making this recipe I noticed the ingredients were very simple and the directions were very informative like the previous recipe I tested out.There are parts in this recipe where the visual descriptions are very helpful such as shaping the cookies and the baking.However there is one part in the directions where you roll the cookie dough into logs and I felt this step could of been simpler in the rolling aspect.So I made sure to put both their step and my tips in the recipe below.I still give a thumbs up for the directions in this recipe despite the complaint.

 photo IMG_8940_zpse5768dec.jpg

Now, your probably wondering how these cookies are shaped into peanuts.Well cookie cutter's are not used in this recipe at all.What I had to do was place the unbaked cookies in the oven for 30 seconds,take them out and gently squeeze the edges in the middle to create groove.I really wondered how this shape was going to be formed without a cutter and never thought this would be the idea to create the peanut shape.However its really simple this way and definitely works. They actually look really cute in this shape and gives a peanut butter sandwich cookie character.

The funniest part of this recipe was making the frosting and assembling the "Nutter Butters". The frosting was really simple to make with my stand mixer and used powder sugar, peanut butter and shortening.The filling was really easy to spread on the shortbread and your able to put in a lot of frosting on each cookie. These sandwich cookies are really simple to assemble and its best to find the closest match for each cookie that you fill. Overall, this is the best part of the recipe because you get to create and see how everything comes together.


Once everything is assembling it is the flavor and texture test.So since I cannot compare it to the original I have to say these are some pretty good "Nutter Butters".They have a melt in your mouth shortbread that is mildly sweet with a delicious peanut butter flavor.While the filling is creamy with a mildly sweet and light peanut butter flavor.They are super addicting and I just love their shape.


 photo IMG_8984_zps7eec4c9f.jpg

Overall, these are yet another sandwich cookie that everyone loves from Classic Snacks Made From Scratch.I love peanut butter so I knew I would love these even If I haven't tried the original "Nutter Butter".So I hope everyone tries out this recipe and comes back to tell me their own opinion on the homemade version of Nutter Butter's or tell me on The Art Of Baking Facebook Page. I will await to see if these really match up to the original and if your a fan "like" Classic Snacks Made From Scratch Page

Anyways, I shall get my butt moving onto testing some new recipes in the Cakey Treat chapter.Can you think of any of the treats that should be in that chapter? Enjoy this cookies.


The Recipe

Makes: About 2 dozen cookies.I had a little over 2 dozen.
Total: 2 hours including chilling time.It took a lot longer then 2 hours
Difficulty: 2. I agreed that this recipe is about a 2

Nutter Butters

2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 pinch of salt
8 tbsp or 4 ounces chilled unsalted butter,cut into cubes
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter

Filling

1 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup 2 tbsp creamy peanut butter   
1/4 cup vegetable shortening

 photo IMG_8839_zps385e47c0.jpg

Whisk the flour,baking powder and salt together in a metal medium bowl,set aside.

 photo 2013-03-18001_zpsa54b500b.jpg
 
Using my kitchen aid mixer with a paddle attachment.I creamed the butter and sugar together on medium speed,until light and fluffy.Then I turned it down to low speed and added the egg and vanilla.Then I stirred in the creamy peanut butter on medium speed.Be sure to spray the measuring cup with baking spray before measuring the peanut butter. This helps extract all the peanut butter.

On low speed, I stirred in the dry ingredients 1/2 cup at a time, until just incorporated.

 photo IMG_8839_zps385e47c0.jpg

The directions say to spread 2 large sheets of plastic wrap on a clean surface and divide the dough into 2 equal pieces on the sheets.Wrap each piece tightly to form a rough cylinder about 8 inches long and 1 1/2 inch diameter (My Tip:The dough is very pliable and its a lot easier to just roll out the dough for its length and width before wrapping it) Then place the dough logs in the freezer for 30 minutes. (A kitchen measuring tape helps to)

I preheated the oven to 350F and lined my half sheet with a silpat liner. The recipe directions say to use 2 cookie sheets and line with parchment paper or silpat liners.

 photo 2013-03-180011_zpscccd63a0.jpg

Then I took out the dough logs,unwrapped them and cut the chilled dough into thin slices that were no more then 1/4 inch.Then I placed the cookies slices on the prepared sheet and placed them in the full preheated oven for 30 seconds.(My tip: This is so you can easily shape them) Once 30 seconds was up I removed them from the oven and formed each cookie into a peanut shape by squeezing the sides gently into the middle to create grooves. 

 Once that was done I placed the cookies back into the oven and bake for 13-16 minutes. (My tip: For me it was around 10 -12 minutes) They were done when the cookies were dry and no longer shiny, but not browning at the edges.They will seem to look underbake, but remove anyways.Cool the cookies completely on a rack. 


Filling The Cookies 

 photo 2013-03-180012_zps31c04b8a.jpg

When the cookies were cooling I made the filling. Using my kitchen aid stand mixer with the paddle attachment on low speed (You can use a hand held mixer to) I creamed the powdered sugar,peanut butter and the shortening together until fluffy and the sugar was incorporated.Then once that was thoroughly mixed I tuned the speed to high to fluff it up.It will look creamy and smooth.


 photo 2013-03-180013_zps1ca1acd8.jpg

Once most of the cookies were cooled I spread the filling evenly on the flat side of half of the cookies and topped them with the remaining cookie. (Doesn't matter if the size match to closely)

Store cookies at room temp in an airtight container for up to a week. (My tip: I keep them in an airtight container in the fridge because they are really good cold)

Recipe Suggestion:

In the cookbook Casey mentions that Nutter Butter are cousins to the Do Si Dos, the oatmeal peanut butter girl scout cookies.To make this version add 1/4 cup coarsely chopped rolled oats to the dough. Plus its best to give these oats a quick grind in the food processor along with the flour. 

Comments

  1. Wonderful! Great review and now I want to make those. I am super impressed and now very hungry. Job well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Suzie :) I so hope you do make them and let me know if they match to the originals.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love hearing your ideas and opinions, so join in the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...