Skip to main content

Best Of Bridge Holiday Classics: Cookies



Best of Bridge Holiday Classics is a cookbook that will surely meet your needs for celebrating the holidays this year.This exceptional collection contains over 200 simples recipes originated by the Bridge Ladies, who have been developing along with writing recipes since 1975.There is a variety of delightful recipes to enjoy for appetizers,dinners,desserts as well as creating food gifts.As the Bridge Ladies say they want us to have "simple recipes with gourmet results"

So for someone like me that is an avid baker this cookbook has an extensive collection of unique recipes.This includes Holiday Cookies and Squares,Desserts And Other Sweet Treats along with Food Gifts.So since I love to bake I have specifically chosen these chapters to review and enjoy.




For starters,the cookies I chose to create were Fruit & Nut shortbread and Snowballs.Both recipes are simply written and easy to understand.As well as including ingredients that are very affordable and simple to find in any grocery store.These are cookies that both contain nuts as the main flavor and texture component;however I can see room for flexibility for any ones desire.Although that would of course adjust the overall treats.So be warned and get creative!


The Fruit And Nut Shortbread is one of those treats that are impressive as well as elegant in appearance that its bewildering how easy they are to actually make.This recipe follows the same basic steps to create traditional shortbread such as always using butter as well as chilling the dough before baking.Although for a new change of pace this shortbread is actually rolled into logs,wrapped and then chilled prior.This is so we can develop a thin round cookie that is very similar to a wafer.Therefore with this adjustment we have a crisp and soft cookie with a strong walnut flavor along with sweet glazed cherries.Overall,it is a very tasty cookie with unique flavor and texture that would be great to make for any holiday,especially this time of year.I can see it now with treating myself with a shortbread cookie along with a cup of hot cocoa.Delicious!.This is an efficient,family friendly and affordable treat for the holidays.Think food gift this year?




Now these Snowballs are certainly a cookie you want to make this Christmas season.They are very simple to construct as well as have a beautiful presentation for holiday party's.Snowballs are an incredibly fragile and soft cookies with the texture that is crumbly as well as melts in your mouth.It also has a sweet coating of icing sugar that suits excellently towards the buttery and pecan flavor.It almost remind me of a spice cookie although it includes absolutely no spices at all.It absolutely stands out from most of the traditional cookies of the Christmas season and I can highly recommend them.They also smell as well as taste precisely like fresh pecans along with a mild sweetness without the coating. Though the best part about these little morsels is they are awesome to use as decorative pieces and will impress your family and friends this season.Lastly,each one of these cookies hold there own unique appearance,flavor and texture,which I love to stumble upon in any recipe

So overall,each cookie is excellent and I highly recommend everyone of you to try the recipes.Just think how great they be for holiday parties,family and friends and even as gifts.So now that I got you thinking about making treats I will be moving on to new recipes.Holiday squares is coming up!


Fruit And Nut Shortbread



250g unsalted or salted butter

1 cup brown sugar
1 egg yolk
2 cups all purpose flour
2/3 cups glace cherries,halved
1/2 walnuts,chopped finely
 

I chopped the walnuts,finely and cut the glace cherries in half.


In my kitchen aid stand mixer,I creamed the butter and sugar together,until fluffy.Then I added the egg yolk and flour,beating on low. Then I added the fruit and nuts,beating until fully combined.


Then I shaped the dough into two rolls that were 2 inches in diameter and rolled them each in wax paper,using elastic bands to tie the ends. Then I chilled them overnight in the refrigerator.


I took off the wax paper and took a knife and cut thin slices off the rolls about 1/8 inch thickness/33mm.You can also leave the wax paper on the cookie roll and cut through it using a very sharp knife to create the slices then discard the wax paper. I however found it easier without the paper.


Then I placed the slices on a well greased cookie sheet  and bake them for 5-6 minutes,until slightly brown edges.The recipes says 10 minutes,so it depends on your oven.Then twist cookies off sheet when cooled.

Snowballs


1/2 cup unsalted or salted butter
1 tbsp granulated sugar
1 cup finely ground pecans,fresh
7/8 cup (210 mls) flour Tip: (1/2 cup (125ml) + 1/4 cup (80ml) + 1 tsp (5ml) = 7/8 cup or 210 ml)
1 tsp vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
1 cup confectioner (icing) sugar


With my blender,I took 1 cup of whole pecans and chopped them into fine grounds,measuring to about over 1 cup of ground pecans,setting aside.


Then with the kitchen aid stand mixer,I creamed the butter and sugar together,until fluffy.Then I added the pecans,flour,vanilla extract and salt.I then mixed it at low speed,until just combined (Do Not Over Beat)



Then I formed small balls and baked them on an ungreased cookie sheet at 325 F at 12-15 minutes,until barely brown.This time will vary by oven. Cookies should not spread.



Then when all the cookies were fully cooled,I coated them with confectioner sugar to resemble snowballs.I made 4 dozen snowballs in total.

Comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...