Skip to main content

Dessert Mash-Ups: Breakfast!


Dessert Mash-Up is taking our beloved treats and collaborating them to create wonderful concoctions.Dorothy Kern, the author of the popular blog Crazy For Crust is the one behind this unique topic, generating recipes such as Lemon Meringue pie fudge,Scone doughnuts and even Cookies n Cream Cheesecake Ice cream.There is a variety of treats for everyone to enjoy along with plenty of room for your own imagination.Dorothy's desserts are inspirational and it's exciting to try her recipes.
 

So for starters,breakfast can only get better when you can have a Carrot Cake Coffee Cake and Chocolate Chip Monkey Bread Muffins to enjoy as a morning snack.These treats have their own simple combinations that enhance one another to produce a product that is exceptional.The carrot cake itself is of course the mix of two cakes to form a dessert that is fluffy and moist with a delightfully buttery and sweet carrot flavor. The streusal is however the addition to this carrot cake, creating a sweet caramel and nutty topping that is a great match towards the smooth and sweet cream cheese icing draped across.Therefore forming a beautiful cake with its vibrant orange,caramel topping and ribbon draped icing.


Now the recipe is straight to the point and easy to understand.It gives the reader the knowledge to follow through easily and great for any ones level of baking.It also fits for any occasion,especially breakfast and is a wonderful recipe for the holidays.It is a breeze to create this cake and can be easily adaptable for any ones liking.Just think about how the topping can be simply changed?  Overall,its a spice cake that is developed with simple,budget friendly ingredients along with delivering in flavor.So with that experience I will have to give this recipe a two thumbs up!

Now the chocolate chip monkey bread muffin has a few combinations of its own as you can notice from the title.Though the monkey bread itself is best described as a sweet pull apart bread that is built on sections of dough to create a whole treat.This is usually a dessert that is made as a bundt cake;however this one is transformed into miniature muffins.It is also sweetened topped to bottom with a sugar glaze that is very similar to a sticky bun.So as you can see there are many ideas put towards this recipe to create this muffin.


So putting those all together you obtain a chocolate chip,spiced bread that is buttery and soft thats melts in your mouth.Which creates something completely different to any ordinary muffin you have every tried.Its also a muffin that is unique in its own appearance,resembling a monkey tree puzzle that is beautifully golden brown and full of mini chocolate chips.Thus, creating a mash-up that is exceptional and will definitely impress.

 Overall,this recipe is simple and full of helpful tips.If you have mastered making bread and muffins then this recipe will be a breeze for you.If you have not then it will be a new exciting challenge and really if I can make it then anyone can.I will also say that when you choose this recipe it's important to have the time to make  them.If you need an instant treat then I really would not recommend this recipe at all and be sure to save this muffin for a special occasion.This treat really need the time to become its best in flavor and texture.So,overall I give this recipe a two thumbs up because I feel its very important to work hard and make time towards the things you love.So be sure to make the time this season to get creative and have fun!

Carrot Cake Coffee Cake


Cake

1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg
1/2 cup milk,preferably whole milk
2 cups shredded carrots(about 4 carrots)

Streusel

1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 tbsp all purpose flour
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tbsp unsalted butter,melted
3/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Icing

1 tbsp unsalted butter
2 ounces cream cheese
3/4 cup powder sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheated the oven to 350F.I greased and floured a 9 inch round pan.Then set it aside.


 I whisked together the flour,baking powder,salt, and cinnamon in a medium bowl.


Then in a large bowl I stirred the sugar,oil, and egg, until fully combined.Then I stirred in the milk.


 Then I stirred in the dry mix,until combined and lastly I stirred in the shredded carrots.


Then I poured the batter into the greased and floured 9 inch round pan.


To Make The Streusal: In a small bowl,I stirred together the brown sugar,flour,cinnamon and melted butter.Add walnuts,if using.


Then with the topping I sprinkled it over top of the cake batter.Baking it for 35 minutes,until the toothpick inserted came out clean from the center and edge.Then I let it cool completely before frosting.


Then in a medium bowl,I creamed the butter and cream cheese together with my hand mixer,until smooth.Then I mixed in the powder sugar, slowly and then lastly added the vanilla extract.


Then I filled a piping bag with the frosting along with a ribbon tip.I then began frosting the top of each individual cut cake,creating ribbons that drape in a zig zag design.

Then I stored the cake by wrapping plastic wrap over top the serving plate.It will keep for 2 to 3 days at room temperature;however spice cake is excellent when kept cold.


Chocolate Chip Monkey Bread Muffins


Dough

3/4 cup milk,preferably nonfat
2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast or quick-rise
1/3 cup granulated sugar
3 tbsp unsalted butter,softened
1/2 tsp salt
1 large egg
3 cups all purpose flour,plus more for dusting
1 cup semisweet mini chocolate chips

Topping

1/3 cup granulated sugar

1 tsp ground cinnamon
6 tbsp unsalted butter
1/4 cup packed brown sugar


I placed the milk in a glass liquid measure and heated for 30-60 seconds, until it reached about 110F.I used a candy thermometer to test the temp.Then I added the yeast and stirred it in.Then I let it sit to let the yeast bloom.


With my kitchen aid stand mixer,I placed the sugar,butter,salt and egg with the paddle attachment.I mixed the butter, until distributed though out the liquid,will be chunky.Then I poured in the milk mixture and stirred for a few seconds.


Then I added the flour and stirred just until mixture began to stick to the paddle attachment.


Then I added the mini chocolate chips and replaced the attachment with the dough hook.I continued mixing on medium speed, until the dough formed a ball.


Then I sprayed a large bowl with cooking spray and placed the dough in.


Then I wrapped it with plastic wrap.This is where I placed the dough in the refrigerator overnight and the next day I let it sit out at room temperature for 15 minutes.


I preheated the oven at 350F and sprayed the 12 cup muffin pan with cooking spray.


I dusted my work area with flour and divided the dough into 48 pieces.


Then in a small bowl,I stirred together the white sugar and cinnamon.Then I rolled each piece of dough into the mixture to coat.Setting aside.


I melted the butter in a liquid measure in the microwave for 20 seconds.I whisked in the brown sugar and placed 1-2 tsp of this topping on the bottom of each muffin cup.


Then I placed 4 pieces of the coated dough into each muffin cup.Then with my remaining topping,I poured it over top of the muffins.


I placed the muffin pan on a cookie sheet to catch any overflow,then I baked it for 15-18 minutes until golden brown.Topping will cook over the muffin pan,but if sprayed with cooking spray or using a nonstick pan,it will be easy to clean off.I then let it cool slightly before serving and can be easily stored in a seal container at 2-3 days at room temp,longer if refrigerated.

Comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...