Skip to main content

Dairyland Review Part 2: Old Fashion Buttermilk & Aerosol Whipping Cream


Dairyland Review:Part 2
Old Fashion Buttermilk &Aerosol Whipping Cream

 When I first picked up Dairyland's Old Fashion Buttermilk at the store.I just knew I had to use it to make home-made buttermilk pancakes.This is because I have always wanted to make these pancakes with real buttermilk and not with replacements.So one fine morning, I finally got the energy to make these bad boys and I was wonderfully surprised.I found such a big difference in flavor,appearance and texture of these pancakes that I now love this recipe.I can no longer go back to my replacements of milk with lemon juice or vinegar;It just isn't the same any more. I now know what real buttermilk pancakes taste like and trust me they are ten times better. However the only negative aspect to all of this is the price for buttermilk can be a little steep, depending on the store.Example: I got this 2L carton for $3.79 at Save on Foods,technically free for review.However I know I wouldn't buy this constantly like milk.Definitely a special treat.


So to just bug everyone for a little bit before we dive into the recipe it self (...are you jealous yet) I'm going to describe how these pancakes really were.Well to start with I have say the appearance was completely different to what I'm use to.These pancake had great golden crisp tops and came out to be way thicker, due to the buttermilk.Overall, the appearance was excellent. Now for the texture, well that was completely different as well because the buttermilk helped these pancakes be thicker and moister in the end.The inside was soft and airy while the outside was slightly crisp.All the right components for a pancake I would say.Now for the last and most important part that can make and break a pancake is the flavor.Well this one definitely made it.It was mildly sweet and had a rich buttermilk flavor.It can be delicious with or without condiments.It was an all round great pancake and I definitely recommend the recipe.A+ for the recipe and buttermilk. Also, to let everyone know that this is the higher fat buttermilk.

Now with a great pancake I had to have some condiments.So when I picked up the buttermilk I had to get some Dairyland Whipped Cream Aerosol.Its a great little garnish for pancakes,desserts and brings an ohlaaa aspect to any dish.Its able to fit great against any other pancake condiments like syrup,fruit,etc.Its rich,light, creamy and delicious.Its something you will definitely see more of in my Dairyland reviews.This product is also quite convenient if you don't have time to make any home-made whipped cream;however with this aspect you do have to expect a high price to pay for the product.The price varies with each store but I got this one for $4.49 at Save On Foods.The price shows me I would not purchase this product regularly and only as a treat.It is easy to use, has multiple uses and you get about 40 calories for every 4 tbsp. It gets an A+ for flavour and convenience;however I will have to give it a B for the price and how much you get.In the end its all in what you like any ways.So I better start telling you how to make this recipe, before you all get to in patient with me.I hope you enjoy making these pancakes yourself!


The Recipe

Buttermilk Pancakes 


Ingredients:

All Purpose Flour
Brown Sugar
Baking Powder
Baking Soda
Table Salt
Eggs
Buttermilk
Canola Oil
Condiments:Syrups,fruit, whipping cream etc

Equipment:Large mixing bowl,whisk,measuring cup/spoons,liquid measure,frying pan,metal spatula,spoon & knife.

  
1. Gather all your ingredients and equipment before you start.


2.For a full batch of buttermilk pancakes, you will need to add 2 cups of all purpose flour to a large bowl.Be sure to spoon and level the flour.This can also be replaced with whole wheat flour for a healthier version.


3. From there, measure out 1 tbsp of brown sugar(light or dark),be sure to pack down and add to the flour.


4.Measure out 1 tsp of baking powder and add to the flour mixture.


5. Measure out 1 tsp of baking soda and add to the flour mixture.


6.Then lastly,add 1/2 tsp of Table Salt to the flour mixture.

  
7.Stir the dry ingredients thoroughly with a wooden spoon or whisk.


 8. Add your wet ingredients.Crack in two large eggs (white or brown) into the dry mixture.


9.Measure out 1 3/4 cup of Dairy land Buttermilk,use a liquid measure.


10.  Slowly pour Dairy land buttermilk into the dry mixture.Note:If the batter seems to thick,add 1-4 tbsp more of buttermilk.


11.Last ingredient to be added is 1 tbsp of canola oil or any oil of your choosing.


 12.Mix the ingredients with a wooden spoon or whisk, until moistened.A few small lumps are good to leave in.


13.Heat up a large heavy frying pan.Medium heat.To test if hot enough, sprinkle a few drops of water and if they dance around rather then sizzle in one spot it is ready to fry some pancakes.From their grease the pan with a little oil.



14.Pour the pancake batter by 1/3 cup measure (60ml) into frying pan.Two will be able to cook at the same time.From here you can add treats to the batter such as chocolate chip, fruit etc.


15.When the tops are bubbly and edges are dry.Its time to flip the pancakes to brown the other sides.Continue with rest of the batter and you don't have to grease the pan again after the first time.


16.Golden brown on the top and bottom is the best look for pancakes.When cooking your pancakes I find that once a batch is done placing them on a plate and covering them with a lid will help keep them warmer longer.


17.For part of my batter I also added blackberries for some different flavor and texture.

For all that work, I definitely deserve a treat that looks like this,Don't they look delicious! Try it out!





Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...