I've made these kind of cookies before in the past with the same recipe; however this time I changed it up and replaced the filling. Instead of cookie rings filled with jelly/jam along side butter-cream frosting, it is replaced with creamy chocolate hazelnut spread called Nutella.This brings a new appearance,taste, texture and a whole new cookie on its own. The cookie dough part of the recipe has no changes to it, only the filling is replaced.
This cookies, with its hazelnut chocolate brings a great dark color to emphasis the golden shades within the cookie.The ring cookies are all about their appearance based on their color mixtures, and how the filling is perfectly shown through each cookie. These cookie's are eaten based on their appearance and of course their delightful flavors. This cookie reminds when eaten the texture and flavor of a chocolate pudding pie. The Nutella is rich, creamy, smooth and brings a great sweetness to the cookie.The dough part reminded me a lot of shortbread, but a little flakier like pie crust, which is probably what led me to think I was eating a mini pie within a cookie. A mini pie is a excellent thing to think of when eating a cookie since I really like pie and I know there is a lot of people like me that love pie too. So the pie lovers out there you got to try this cookie out for yourself.
The original filling for the cookie is actually in my opinion better then the Nutella;however that's based on me making the cookies with the original filling a couple times already and I have gotten so use to how good they are.Also I am a bigger fan of jam or jelly's with cookies especially thumbnails YUM :D. Though ,I put two thumb up for both variation of these cookies. If your a chocolate and pie loving person go with the Nutella. If your a jam/jelly with butter cream frosting lover then go with the original.I say go with the jam or jelly cookie rings, and I so wasn't trying to sway your vote their lol.
Nutella Rings (Adapted From Jelly Rings, The Big Book Of Baking,Love Food)
1 cup butter,softened
Scant 3/4 cup superfine sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
1 egg yolk,lightly beaten
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/2 cup all purpose flour
Pinch of salt
1 egg white, lightly beaten
Filling:Nutella ( 1 tsp-1 tbsp to each cookie)
1. Beat butter and sugar in large bowl.
2. Beat in egg yolk and vanilla extract.
3.Add flour and salt,stir till combined.
4. Form into ball and cut in half.
5. Wrap balls in saran wrap and chill in fridge 30-60 minutes (or overnight)
6. Preheat oven to 375F. Parchment paper to two cookie sheets or nonstick pans.
7. Unwrap the dough, lightly flour your work surface and roll out dough. ( you can roll out dough between two sheets of parchment paper to exclude using flour).
8.Stamp out with either a 4 inch fluted round cutter or using a glass cup.
9.Put half of them on one of the cookie trays.
10.For the remaining half ,stamp out the centers with a plain round cutter (2 inch) and remove it(save the dough).
11. Place these cookie rings on the other cookie sheet.
12. Bake for 7 minutes. Then brush the rings with beaten egg white and sprinkle with superfine sugar.
13. Bake until lightly golden brown and glossy. Let cool on sheets for a few minutes and then transfer to cookie racks.
(Continue steps 7-13 for the other half of the dough)
Filling And Assemble:
1. Spread about 1 tsp- tbsp of nutella over the whole cookies and place the cookie rings on top.Slightly press together till the filling pops a little in the center holes.